Hey Everyone!!!! Today is a fun day because I want to share with you all of the details of our newest bathroom renovation. This one was so much fun to do and I can not wait to share all of it with you! So if you follow along with me on Instagram, you know that we ripped apart our girls/guest bathroom upstairs. My husband has done a lot of work like this before so he knew what he was doing which was why we were able to tackle it. So let’s get started!
First I will share the BEFORE pictures. When we bought the house this bathroom was all decked out with pink and white tile. We never loved it, so the first inexpensive DIY on this room was to brighten it up and to paint all the things. It was really just an easy fix that we knew we weren’t going to live with for a long time. Fast forward to a year later, and we decided to tear the room apart and redo it. This was the last room that NEEDED renovation.
When we first moved in
After using lots of white paint to brighten it up
Then we demo’d it! Well we took down the vanity, the mirror, and all of the wall tiles. We did a lot of research on flooring and we found out that with the type of flooring we wanted to use, we actually did not even have to demo the existing floors as long as they were level. This was so huge for us! The type of flooring we used was from Lumber Liquidators and it is called Engineered Vinyl Plank which means it is WATERPROOF and WORRY PROOF!!! It has several different layers for durability and is great for DIYers to install. It is also super low maintenance which is awesome for a busy mama like myself. The style we chose was 5.5 mm Reclaimed Barn Board which gives the room a super rustic vibe which my husband and I both love! Best part is is that is was super affordable too.
The installation part was actually pretty easy. The pieces clicked and locked into each other. I would say the hardest part for us was to figure out where to lay the certain pieces and some of the cuts. I believe each box had 6 different boards so we had to stagger those out. Otherwise, it was really a breeze to do. The hubs and I finished it in no time.
And as you can see in this picture, we also took down the original trim pieces and used 1×3 pieces of wood to get more of a farmhouse feel. We also decided to use the same trim on the floors and we did board and batten trim for the lower half of the walls by using 1×2 pieces of wood vertically down the wall.
We also use 1/4 inch plywood ripped into 6 inch strips to do a shiplap wall behind the sink.
Our budget was not too big for this project and plus let’s be honest here… we do not like to buy a lot of stuff new. We love the character, charm and look of items that aren’t usually brand new. We love a good vintage find! So we searched 2 Habitat Restores over the course of about a month to find the perfect vanity for this bathroom. Literally as this bathroom was torn apart, we finally found the perfect piece. And when I see we, I really mean my husband. He picked out this dresser which I loved! I knew immediately it was perfect.
I cleaned it up really well, did a few good coats of white chalk paint, distressed it and she was prettier than ever!
We then bought an over mount sink from Amazon, along with a Antique Brass faucet. While waiting for those to arrive, we caulked caulked caulked and caulked some more! It was super therapeutic for me though. I know I may be weird. Who else loves caulking? Anyway, we picked up a barn light for over the vanity and then we painted. We picked up a “mess up” gallon of paint from Lowes that was bright white for only $9.00 and then we chose Behr Squirrel Gray for the upper half of the walls. While at Lowes I also saw a paint additive by Glade that is supposed to make your room smell for up to a few months. We bought the Cashmere Woods scent and OH MY! it still smells amazing in there. Every time I walk by, I am amazed at how much it still smells.
Lastly, I had to find a mirror with my little sidekick, my youngest daughter. I knew that I really wanted to find something that was unique and when I found this piece I knew it was for me to take home! My daughter also approved of it. It had the perfect amount of detail and the exact look I was going for. The only thing I had to do was sand it down(and oh boy that took a lot of time, but well worth it) and seal it for a natural warm wood tone.
Here is the final product… well not final, because in a few months we will be ripping down the shower tiles and redoing that. But for now, here is the final product of most of the room. PART 2 will be here hopefully by the beginning of next year so stay tuned.