Hey friends! The last blog post was all about how we transformed our bathroom last year when we moved in our house. It kind of put a spark under my butt and made me realize I needed to get to our final bathroom goal. I decided to start with the counter top makeover I had in mind and it kind of just spiraled into another bathroom renovation. But this time it got us to our final goal! I can not tell you how in love I am with the bathroom now! I am kind of obsessed. Every time I walk past it, I have to take another look at it.
Here are a few before pictures for you… this was right before I started the counter tops.
And here is the end result…
So I have had a vision similar to this for a while and had some ideas. If you know me, you know that I am a very very impatient idea. When I have an idea and the funds, I go for it!!! And that is exactly what happened last week.
I started by cleaning. I used a vinegar and water mix to clean the vanity and counter tops. Once that was all done I figured out how to cover the counter tops with the Duck brand marble contact paper from Walmart. I had it left over from the girls play kitchen that we made a few weeks back. I started by laying it out and cutting a circle where the sinks were. I slowly took the paper back off and started adhering it to the counters using a credit card to smooth it and get out any bubbles. Once I got closer to the sink, I started cutting a more precisely around the sink and used a razor blade. It is no where near perfect, but it works.
Then we moved onto the faux shiplap wall. I went to Lowe’s Home Improvement and got 1/4 inch plywood and had it cut there into 6 inch strips. My husband has a saw at home so he was able to cut the strips down to the length we needed. If you don’t have a saw they can actually cut it to length first then cut the strips for you.
By the time I got home, my sweet hubby already had the mirror framed out. We saw a bunch of tutorials framing out a mirror that was on the wall, but we did not have the right tools for it. We decided to think a little bit and we came up with a pretty good solution. First he took pieces of wood(1×2’s we already had in the garage) and laid them down flat to the wall making a box around the mirror. He then screwed them directly into the wall framing out the mirror, basically for the facial pieces of wood to be nailed into. Those pieces of wood were big enough to where the next pieces of wood would not touch the plastic mirror clips which was exactly what we needed. He then cut 1×3’s down to size to make the larger box to sit on that wood. He nailed them in and it was done! This is what it looked like before wood puttying the seams and then paint.
So then it was time for the shiplap. We started at the top and made our way down. We took the first piece directly to the ceiling and nailed it into place. When that one was done we used pennies to space out the wood. This gives it the look of shiplap by spacing the wood pieces out a bit and being able to see the gaps. He nailed that into place and kept moving down. The next two pieces were a bit tricky because he had to cut around the light fixture and then the top of the mirror. In hind sight, I probably would have done the shiplap first and then did the mirror frame. It just made cutting the shiplap a bit harder especially because we don’t have all the tools we really need. But again we made it work! Once all of the shiplap was on we took a much needed break.
Later on I decided to stain the wood. I probably should have done this before we put it on the wall but here comes the lack of patience in our family. I actually mixed about 3/4 Antique white stain by Rustoleum and 1/4 Jacobean by Minwax. It made a beautiful grayish color that had a barn wood look to it. I applied that and once it was dry I went over and lightly dry brushed some Waverly White chalk paint. I already just loved the look of it!
The next day I went ahead and painted the vanity with Waverly chalk paint in the color Mineral. I gave that two good coats and it was finished. I also decided to paint the faucets with Waverly chalk paint in the color Ink. I painted the mirror white and it was all coming together. I also bought some plain silver knobs from Lowes. I think they were only $1.67 a piece. I decided to spray paint them gold that I already had on hand. And the middle drawer has one of our kitchen pulls that was leftover from our kitchen remodel. Once they were dry I attached them. And once all of the painting was done, I used Minwax Polycrylic in Satin finish to seal everything. I did 3 coats on the counters and 2 coats on the vanity, knobs, and faucet.
Once it was all dry, we decided to give the room a makeover with some new hand towels, bath towels, a few pieces of decor we already had on hand and a few new pieces as well. We had a lot of the materials and things we needed on hand already but the total cost of the renovation was very minimal and under $100, especially before the towels and decor. I encourage any of you who want to do a renovation like this using what you have without ripping everything out but still having amazing results, to do it! I am so glad we did it and I am just completely in love with it. I hope you try it and if you do please share it with me, I would love to see it.
Here are some more pictures of the whole room…
Leave a Reply